The New York Lottery wants to remind players that Lottery games are designed to be a fun, low-cost form of entertainment in support of education. While most of our players experience them in this way, for some, gambling of any kind can be a problem. The Lottery's Responsible Gaming Awareness Program reflects the Lottery's commitment to addressing this issue.
The Lottery's Responsible Gaming Program consists of:
- Providing problem gambling referral information to all retailers in regular newsletters.
- Publicizing the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services toll free help line number (1-877-8-HOPENY) at retail, on play cards and terminal tickets, on all instant scratch-off tickets, on every Video Lottery gaming machine and on signage at each gaming facility.
- Posting links to the State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services, The New York Council on Problem Gambling and Gamblers Anonymous on the New York Lottery website.
- Collaborating on outreach and awareness programs on youth gambling with the State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services including producing and airing radio and television ads.
- Supplying retailers with stickers on mandatory 18+ purchase age requirements and furnishing terminals with barcode readers which enable retailers to verify a player's age from a New York State driver's license.
- Training regional sales staff on problem gambling awareness.
- Producing guidelines for the establishment of Responsible Gaming Programs to the Video Lottery Gaming Facilities. These guidelines include establishment of subject training for employees and self-exclusion programs.
- Conducting quarterly reviews of the programs established at Video Gaming Facilities.
- Reviewing the problem gaming programs in other states as well as academic articles for possible program changes within the New York Lottery.
- Participating in the World Lottery Association Responsible Gaming Framework certification process.
The issue of problem gambling is an important one. If you need help or want information, here are some places to start.